Marymount traces its origins back to 1959 when Fr Frank Shine was appointed Parish Priest of Burleigh Heads.
Fr Frank Shine was appointed Parish Priest of Burleigh Heads
On 11 August 1966, a letter was signed by the parish priests, Rev J.N. Shannon (Surfers Paradise), Rev D. Boland (Coolangatta) and Rev. F.A. Shine, outlining a proposal for the establishment of a secondary girls' school at Burleigh Heads
In October 1967, the foundations of the first buildings were laid on110 acres at Burleigh Waters purchased by Fr Shine. The name of the new school was coined because of a devotion to Mary and because the location incorporated a gentle sloping mount.
The Missionary Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception as a parish secondary school opened Marymount College in 1968, with sixteen students and two staff. The principal was Sr Mary Patricia, osf. The complex cost $146,000 and consisted of classrooms, a convent and chapel. Responsibility for the College development was to rely heavily on the Burleigh Parish.
Sr Carmel Beirne, osf became the new Principal, assisted by Sr Marguerite, osf. In that same year, extensions costing $94,000 were made to the College.
Marymount College became co-educational to provide for boys on the central and southern sections of the Gold Coast. The first boy enrolled was Justin Lane. Marymount College became one of the first Catholic co-educational college in Queensland - with an enrolment of 120 students.
Manual Arts Centre was established at a cost of $34,000. This was also the year of the first senior class at Marymount College.
1975 saw the appointment of Mr Michael Lloyd as the first lay Principal and Fr Martin Doyle assumed responsibility for providing the guidance and facilities necessary for a sound Catholic education.
Buildings constructed from 1977 - 1991 were designed and supervised by Michael Ryan and built at a cost of $4.8 million dollars.
Dr Brendan McManus assumed leadership of the College and a new swimming pool was a welcome addition to the sporting facilities
New library built and an enrolment of 620 students
Mr Pat Wall was appointed College Principal
The foresight of Mr Wall in 1987, saw the construction of the Year 8 classroom building.
The construction of the Doyle Centre in 1991 was a major building project and provides exceptional facilities for physical education, theatre and music.
Fr Ken Howell was appointed Administrator of the Burleigh Heads Parish when Fr Martin Doyle, due to ill health, took a long needed rest. Late in 1993, Mr Pat Wall resigned as Principal and Brisbane Catholic Education appointed Mr Bob Cullen as Acting Principal for the 1994 school year.
Fr Pat Molony was appointed Parish Priest. Franciscan Nuns move out of convent into other accommodation and roles.
Ms Vicki Ward assumed the role of College Principal for the 1995 school year.
Mr Bob Peacock was appointed College Principal. First Art Show was held.
Mr Peacock commenced an extensive rebuilding programme with a new Home Economics and Hospitality wing opened in 1998
Marymount College had an enrolment of 905 students. $900,000 Manual Arts Complex opened in February 1999. Major expenditure was undertaken in the Information Technology area with the College operating a network well in excess of 275 computers.
Work commenced on a new Administration building. This included a new staff room with computer access for each teacher.
Staff Centre and Administration building is finished. The Uniform and Bookshop is part of this building, completed April 2002.
Marymount College hosts QISSRL and QISSN carnivals
Two additional classrooms added to Manual Arts complex
Redevelopment of Canteen and a new covered area (known as P&F Shed) completed
On 20 August 2007, Marymount College hosted the Journey of the of Cross and Icon. The four Catholic Colleges on the Gold Coast (St Michael’s, Aquinas, Assisi and Marymount) combined to greet the Cross and Icon with a special Liturgy attended by 1000 students.
Mission Statement launched
Mr Chris Noonan became Principal. The Mary MacKillop Library and Science Resource Centre opened in 2010 providing the College with five specific science laboratories and a larger library/resource centre. This same year, the College began the Student Notebook Computer Program. Teachers and Year 9s were the first to receive this resource and quickly set about embracing this new technology. Enrolments at 1110.
Student Notebook Program extended to Year 10. After many years of negotiations, powerlines running through the College and Primary were removed.
Arts and Technology building opened, and students welcomed the spacious new facilities. Students in all year levels across the College now participate in the Student Notebook Computer Program.
In early 2013 we farewelled Fr Pat Molony as he moved to Mt. Gravatt Parish, and we welcomed back Fr Ken Howell as new Parish Priest. Demolition of S Block and convent took place at the end of the school year. Enrolment 1050.
Block 7 (J Block - Franciscan Centre) completed.
Block 10 (K Block - Franciscan Centre) completed for Term 2 2015. Year 7 commences for the first time.
The College celebrates 50 Year Anniversary. Padre Morgan Batt becomes Parish Priest.
Work begins on a new three-story Technology building.Chris Noonan retires after 12 years as Principal of Marymount College.
Ms Martina Millard becomes Principal.